Description of Error:
The following error occurs when trying to save any information in the database:
The log file for database is full. Backup the transaction log of the database to free up space.
Cause of Error:
There are a few possible causes for this error, but the most likely cause is either the server hard drive is out space, or the log.ldf file is too large. A databases .ldf log file can grow unrestricted if it is configured to do so within a full version of SQL (this will not happen on scaled down versions of SQL Express).
- Clear space on the server hard drive if it is running low on available space.
- In a full version of SQL, within SQL Server Management Studio:
- Perform a backup of the ESC database and secure it.
- Next, detach the ESC database. This can be done within SQL Management Studio itself.
- Once the database is detached from SQL, locate the .ldf file within the computer and rename it to something like test_log.ldfOLD and save the change.
- Reattach the remaining .mdf file in full version SQL and it should allow you to choose to recreate a new .ldf log file automatically. After the restore the database will be full accessible in ESC again.
- Lastly, within full SQL, go to the properties of the database and modify the setting for the transaction log to be changed from "unrestricted growth" to a limited size such as a few megabytes. This will prevent the log file from ever growing so large as to cause the error again.
Please sign in to leave a comment.